Friday, June 17, 2011

R2D2 gets started!!!!

Today was the first day to start the R2 build. I have researched for the past 4 months to get an idea as to which direction I wanted to go, and how I wanted to go about finishing my Astromech. I have opted for a wooden frame, complete with aluminum skins, the 300mm dome, and am undecided on the rest. A lot of it will depend on how my budget is looking as these aren't cheap! So without further ado, today, I started my wood frame. I started with the basic vertical pieces. There are 10 of them in total. I laid it all out, and realized I made my pieces 1-1/2" wide instead of 1-1/4" wide as the plans call for.......this is the perfect example of measure twice, and cut once! I am glad I caught this error or else i'd be starting over!!! After I fixed it, and cut the first piece out.......I then realized I stacked all of the pieces right on top of each however........very quickly it became apparent to me (FYI - I am not an accomplished wood worker, so this is a learning experience) that the saw blade isn't as thin as my pencil line, so all the hard work I did of drawing it out was pretty much a waste because once the pieces were PROPERLY cut out, I had to redraw all the lines and where the dado cuts would have to go. Due to these errors, I did not have time to cut the dado's tonight, so hopefully that will be accomplished this evening! Here are a few pictures of the small progress.......

No comments:

Post a Comment