Saturday, September 24, 2011

More of the frame.....'s been a LONG time since I have worked on my R2. A lot of it was that I really wanted to go all aluminum. Since I 'thought' that is what I wanted, I decided to do some more research and determine if this was (for me) the best cause of action. After a long thought out process, I decided that, for right now, I could not justify the added cost of going all aluminum. So with that in mind, I started to work on more of my frame today!

For starters.....I wasn't too sure how to make a fairly round board that would require minimal sanding (I HATE sanding!). So....I had to engineer this little jig that would allow me to cut almost perfectly round.

As you can see, after it was all done, it was pretty darn close!!! Next. I decided I would make the uprights. They're fairly simple and straight forward. Unfortunately however, my printer was out of ink, so I couldn't print off a small page to give me the I did what anyone would do.....I hand drew them!!! I didn't need it to be accurate, well......except for the measurements! Now I am confident to say that these pieces came out beautifully!!!!

And finally! You can see a set of all the parts that I have now(Except the uprights, which I am not sure why I didn't include them). I still need to do one more 1/2" half wing, and the 1/4" half wing. Those two pieces, along with the 1/2" middle ring will complete the frame and then we can move to assembly!! One thing to note as well, of this time, I still have not enlarged my dado cuts to 3/4". There was a small error on the plans that I discovered and now, must go back and enlarge them! Fortunately, that's fairly simple!! Hope to get some more done tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment