Well.....let me tell you, there is nothing worse than setting a goal to accomplish for the day, and to not only come up short, but to come up WAY short!! When I started yesterday evening, I told myself that I wanted to get the remaining two quarter rings cut (1/4" and 1/2"(how I forgot to do TWO of them when I made the first is beyond me)), cut the 1/2" middle ring, redo my dado cuts to make them 3/4" (on the uprights)and then get at least half of the router work done....
Well, let me be the first to tell you that this did NOT happen! The first thing I started was to enlarge my dado cuts. This is something I have been dreading as I am not doing them with a dado blade but carefully using a table saw. They actually went quicker than I expected and now, the parts fit flush! Next. I used a jig saw to cut out the two quarter rings. That went fairly smooth as well....and had to do minimal sanding (have I mentioned I hate sanding?)!
Next, I moved on the bottom base plate. After talking with Matt Hendrix (Hi Matt!) and getting information about the angles for the slots (basically, instead of 17.6 degrees, just round to the nearest degree), I began to lay out my lines......This however, took a LOT longer than expected and next thing I knew....it was dark! Guess that router will need to wait till tonight.
So my goal for this evening is to get half the router work done and the middle ring cut. Hopefully this will be a little more optimistic!
One final note. I did a preliminary assembly of just the uprights with the quarter rings....everything seemed to fit nicely EXCEPT the eighth ring. Not sure if I have done something wrong or I have made a lot of pieces wrong, but it does appear to be too small. Maybe I will get lucky and when it actually assembles it will go right, but I am crossing my fingers!! Have a good day!